Today people are loaded with tons of information. So we use selective attention, notice more one things and ignore the others. Our eyes see everything around, but only a small part of what we see really gets into our attention Historically humans learned to quickly identify only critical signals from the environment to make decisions, either to attack or run. Otherwise, we would not have survived as a species. These mechanisms remained almost unchanged in a modern world too, the inherited memory is still strong E.g. today cars are a bigger threat for people’s lives than animals. But our brain will notice a moving animal better and faster than a moving car. That’s because our ancestors used to notice animals immediately as fauna was not only the source of food but a life threat.
To make people choose your dealership among the thousands of others you can use critical signals and stimuli in your marketing strategy. So what will definitely draw users’ attention to your ads?
- People. You can easily attract customers’ attention with the static images of people. Such images are a social signal that catches the eye. When we see different parts of the human body, different areas of our brain get activated.
- Face. We notice expressions of emotions much faster than any other changes in appearance. We also perceive symmetric traits better, because our mind searches for the basic geometric patterns in any face. So pay attention to the emotions and face expressions you want to message to your customers.
- Body. Just like faces, human bodies attract more attention with their geometric proportions. Use a standard formula “body + face” and position it naturally to catch a user’s eye.
- Body parts. Our brain perceives body parts y differently. Use specific body parts to induce certain emotions, e.g. thumb up or down to show you like or dislike depicted, forefinger to point something, etc.
- Hints to action. There are 5 types of special signals:
- A gaze. We have developed the habit to look in person’s eyes during conversation. As they say eyes are windows to the soul.. We automatically follow a person’s gaze to see where to or what at he/she is looking. will look at the direction of person’s eyes at the ad.
- Head and body position. If we can’t see what a person is looking at, we focus on the positions of the head and body. So if you use it in your ads, try to give your viewers as many clues as possible.
- Pointing. When someone points at something it captures overall attention automatically. The most important pointing signal is the direction of the forefinger. It “orders” us to look or go in the specific direction. So if you want to get the maximum attention to your ad use this hint.
- Arrows. Arrows also immediately grab our attention and give directions where to look at. You can use them to point at CTA buttons.
- Self-relevance. Surely there were cases when you were talking to someone when suddenly you heard your name. And after that your attention was focused on the people around. This is the power of self-relevance that is based on the irritating factors from outside. To attract customers’ attention you can use such methods as name, face and mental interaction.
- Name. When a person hears his/her name his attention is grabed immediately. It concerns not only auditory stimuli. We experience the same effect when we see our written names. That’s why you need to use personalized newsletters.
- Face. Our brain has developed the mechanisms to firstly identify our own faces at any photos. You may have noticed that the systems and social networks that give you a possibility to upload your photo to profile seem more convenient, user-friendly and pleasant. If you have a registration form on your dealer website let your users to add profile pictures. By this you will make your site more attractive for customers.
- Mental interaction. People often buy things when they imagine how they will use it,so-called mental interaction E.g. truck drivers buy particular makes and models when they see themselves sitting at the wheel, starting up the ignition, looking ahead on the road, etc. Mentally they get connected with the trucks. So to create a mental interaction between your vehicles and customers provide high quality photos and creative videos. Make your buyers see themselves in your cars.
- Animals. Сharming cats, kittens, puppies, etc. are overflowing Internet. The secret of it is very simple: our ancestors needed the skill to catch sight of animals immediately, especially predators.. If you don’t want to place cute cats and dogs to your ads provide images of other animals, e.g. horses.
Here we described some “human” and “animal” factors that influence our brain and make us pay attention to particular signals we see. Follow our next posts to learn more details about stimuli that make people behave in certain ways.